Tuesday, August 20, 2013

6th IOAA - Observational Round


International Olympiad on Astronomy and Astrophysics (IOAA) consists of three rounds. Theory, Data Analysis and Observation. The Observational round is pretty awesome. Here I'm going to share the experience of observational round of 6th IOAA. 
The exam took place at Vassouras, Rio De Janeiro. The hotel where we were staying was surrounded by mountains. It was 9th August eve. Around 6 PM, all the lights of the hotel were turned off for the observational round. The place was really dark with a magnificent sky, all you can see is the bright constellations marked in the sky. 
 
6th IOAA Observational Round
 
The organization divided us into groups and started to take us for the exam. The guide who was leading our group, was showing us the route with a red torch light. I could hardly identify who was beside me, darkness everywhere. 
Where the exam took place, many telescopes were set over there. I was given the exam paper and a red torch light. With that red torch I could barely see my exam paper. At that moment I had the feeling that I'm the only guy here, under the most beautiful and clear sky I've ever watched. The exam went well. Finally after staying for 2 hours in the dark, our group was taken to a hall room (Of course that place was full of light! The moment was great, you'd enjoy the facial expressions of everyone. I mean, after staying for hours in the dark, when you see the light, you give an amazing expression! ) where we had to wait until all the groups are done with their exam. 
Someone started to play, some danced, some ate a lot, some just slept. Finally after done with a 6 hours-long observational exam we were taken back to the hotel at midnight. It was the most amazing exam of my life! 
Shahreer Zahan.